Each MSK-588 is individually sewn-off and tested before it leaves our factory. Great care is taken in preparing each and every machine so when you plug it in you know it will sew right out of the box.
The true skip-stitch function on the MSK-588 allows you to go from fine sheer material all the way to heavier woolens. Note: You may need to change the needle size and make other adjustements when you change fabric types).
The MSK-588 comes complete with everything you need to get started; 3-needles, 2-screwdrivers, 5-piece allen key set, tweezers, oiler, 1-clamp, variable speed foot controller, knee lifter, instructions and a trouble shooting guide to help first time users.
Best used for:
- Pants, skirts, dresses
- True skip stitch function with chain-off finger* (*required for drapery sheers and other light work)
Allows the machine to skip every other stitch which reduces puckering on light-weight fabrics.
- Simple to use - easy to operate
- Adjustable stitch penetration. Modify the depth of the needle penetration; allows you to hem a wide variety of fabric types
- Knee activated frame drop for easy insertion and removal of the fabric.
- Adjustable thread tension
- 4" Deep Swing-away plate for sewing flat pieces, converts to 2.5" cylinder freearm for tubular hems. Plate is 9" wide left to right
- 1725 RPM Maximum speed
- 0-7mm stitch length adjustment
- Maximum hem width of 3-1/4"
- 36mm needle bar stroke
- 8mm pressure foot lift
- 1:1, 2:1 true skip stitch
- Variable speed foot controller
- Eye needle guard
- Built-in motor
- Sits on any table top - supplied with clamps (2)
- 25lb net weight
- MSK-588 - made in Taiwan
- One year manufacturers warranty
- All Metal Casting
- Use for hemming apparel: pants, skirts, dresses, and more
Click HERE for Videos on Reliable MSK588 Portable Blindstitch Machine
Reliable Warranty Information (.PDF)
Instructional Videos(links open in a new window):
Threading instructions including Initial Setup, Lower Looper, Upper Looper, Right Needle, and Left Needle: video
Converting from 4 to 3 thread stitching: video
Converting to a 2 thread stitch: video
Rolled hem instructions: video
Feeding the fabric and tips for some common fabric types: video
Stitch length adjustment: video
Thread cutter information: video
How to use the edge guide. Determines how much fabric is trimmed after being serged: video
How to test knife sharpness and instructions for replacement: video
- US Warranty 1 year parts, 90 days labor on defects in materials and workmanship.
- Non-US Warranty: 30 days parts and labor
- Model : MSK-588
- Maximum sewing speed : 1,725 rpm
- Stitch length : 0-7 mm
- Needle bar stroke : 36 mm
- Pressure foot lift : By knee 8 mm
- Needle system : # 29BL(LWx6T)
- Lubrication : Manual
- Skip stitch function : 1:1 - 2:1 true skip stitch
- Foot pedal : Variable speed foot controller
- Eye guard : Standard
- Dimensions - head : 14" x 10" x 18"
- Weight - net : 25 lbs
- Shipping dimensions : 14" x 16" x 13"
- Shipping weight : 18 lbs
- Warranty RELIABLE : 1 Year Warranty
- Single Spool Vertical Thread stand to install on back of machine
- Ten-page instruction manual (includes a parts image listing with line drawing pictures),
- Foot control with 75" power cord,
- Needle eye guard,
- Two screwdrivers
- Four Allen wrenches,
- One open end wrench,
- Tweezers for threading needle,
- Two replacement needles (LW x 6T),
- Knee lever Assembly with Knee Pad for inserting and removing fabric,
- Table C clamp (clamps machine to your table top up to 2-1/2" thickness),
- Thread Guide,
- Bottle of oil (there are six easy to access oiling points clearly marked on the Blind Hemmer that require oiling,
- Clear plastic cover.
When I pull the stitching out, several stitches unravel along with it. Is there a way to tack the stitches to prevent unraveling?
Jenna, there are several ways of securing a blind hem stitch at the end of a seam. The easiest way is to sew over and beyond the end of a seam, especially if hemming a tubular item like pants. When you sew over previous stitching it helps to lock the stitches in.
Before you remove fabric from the end of the machine feeder, turn the hand wheel clockwise to swing the needle all the way to the left position in the needle channel which will help secure the thread and stitch in place. Then quickly pull or jerk the fabric hem from behind the feeder which will break the thread and tie off the chain stitch so that it will not continue to unravel. It takes some practice because you may have to use the knee lever or hand wheel to position or release the fabric if it is not already at the end of the feeder.
You can also turn the hand wheel counterclockwise at the end of the seam (like reverse stitching but no formation) just to hide the end stitches, or you can manually weave the unraveled thread back into the chainstitch with a seaming needle.
After getting out the magnifying glass and asking for some help, I have discovered that my machine came with a Dotec needle installed. All Brand sent me two spares. I broke a needle last night and am down to one installed and one spare. Please advise where I can purchase Dotec needles at and if I can send back these Organ needles for an exchange. I need the medium weight needles equivilant to 3 1/2 (14). Thanks for your help.
The brand of needles really does not make any difference in the quality of sewing.
Whether it is the Dotec needles that come with our MSK-588 sewing machine or its the Organ brand that you are providing. For all blind stitch sewing machine when it comes to the quality of sewing it is the combination of 2 things:
1) the size of needle being used (based on the fabric thickness)
2) the right penetration adjustment done with the knob on the machine.
Just to let you know that the size of the Dotec needles that come with our machine is size 3 1/2 which is equivalent to size 11. So she will need the size 11 Organ needles.
Hope this helps, Art at Reliable
Coming through the tension discs...does the thread lay on top or come up underneath the discs? OVER THE TOP, BUT UNDER THE BAR PIN IN BACK OF THE TENSION DISCS (TO KEEP THE THREAD FROM COMING OUT OF THE TENSION DISCS). John.
Thank you John. I didn't get the under the bar part before.
I was able to hem my new blouse without a hitch. I love this little machine!Barbara
Fast shipping! Plentiful product selection makes it hard to choose! Machine sews as expected. I couldn't be happier.
I loved the ability to take the machine right out of the box and get to work...THANK YOU.
Natalie, South Carolina
I have been enjoying my machine very much and I will order agin from your company.thanks again.
I tried the machine yesterday, and was thrilled with the way it hemmed pants. Today I will try skirts-- This was a gift to myself using a gift certificate I won in an International Husqvarna Viking competition, and I am definitely not disappointed in my purchase. Thank you.
This machine is really tricky and hard to manage. It should have more complete directions and a video to help. The needle installation should be discussed in more detail because there is a small amount of play in the needle and if you get it wrong it will not sew. It also REALLY NEEDS A LIGHT. I don't know whether I am satisfied with the machine since I am still struggling but things seem to be improving just as i was about to give up.
Bundle & Save
Get additional savings when you purchase any of these items along with this product.