It's easier than ever to get perfect overlock, cover-, chain-, and combo stitches! *Up to 48 Months GE Synchrony Bank Fixed Payment No Interest Financing with approved credit! Transaction Code Click HERE to Apply Online for Bernina Credit Card Approval
Drum roll, please! We are super excited to introduce you to our new BERNINA L 850 overlocker/serger. Learn about the stunning air threading machine, including one-path threading functionality and many more amazing functions
The long awaited BERNINA air threading overlocker has finally arrived! This is a milestone in the company’s history—as this is 100% designed and engineered in Switzerland and made in the BERNINA factory in Thailand. There are so many things that make this machine unique, but true to our tradition, the user experience and precision performance are the pillars of its design.
The L 850 is a 2-, 3-, 4-thread Overlock machine that comes loaded with comfort features. The air threader is operated using the BERNINA Foot Control. This is the same foot control and power supply used on BERNINA sewing machines—which means that they are interchangeable between machines. I move machines from place to place a lot in my sewing space, so it is convenient to keep the power supply stationary and just move machines. Let’s take a look at how the machine threads and the features that make is so simple.
Bernina has been passionately dedicated to the development and manufacturing of high-quality sewing machines since 1893. Bernina is proud to present a new milestone in its history—the Bernina L 8 Series Overlockers. The L8 Series machines are 100% designed and engineered in Switzerland and packed with a ton of convenient features for ease of use, including the Bernina One-Step Air Threader.
- One-step Bernina Air Threader (for looper threads)
- Extremely fast, precise and quiet
- Convenient freearm
- Total Stitch Control for perfect seams
- Large sewing space
- 18 built-in stitches
- Included extension table
- 2, 3, or 4 threads
- Bernina 3rd arm(knee Lift for presser foot)
- Tool storage in the front of the machine
- A swing-away foot for easy needle threading
- Attachable scrap catcher
- Bernina Free Hand System (FHS) with knee lifter
- Easy to engage and disengage the knife from outside
- 143 mm sewing space to the right of the needle
- Automatic needle stop up
- Workspace height: 86 mm (3 3/8")
- Swing-out presser foot with auto swing back
One-Step Bernina Air-Threading The looper threads are moved through the machine by air with one simple step on the foot control. The L850 automatically sets the loopers in the correct position of the air threader—no turning the handwheel or searching for the right position.
- Threads the two bottom threads
- Guides the thread through the machine with air
Sew in Comfort With the BERNINA Free Hand System (FHS) you can raise and lower the presser foot with your knee. In addition, the presser foot easily swings out for convenient access to the needles.
- Raise and lower presser foot easily
- Leaves both hands free to guide the fabric
- Presser foot swings out, allowing for easy access to the needles
Total Stitch Control for Perfect Seams The L850 offers several settings for Total Stitch Control - all individually adjustable. The best part? You can change all of these settings while sewing, including the thread tension, cutting width, stitch length and Micro Thread Control (MTC.
- Individually adjustable settings for Total Stitch Contro
- Perfect for working with various fabrics and threads in any combination
- Fully adjustable differential feed
Extremely Fast, Precise, and Quiet Not only can you sew quickly, but you can also sew stitch-by-stitch, making the flawless production of precise lines and curves a simple process. Plus, you will enjoy how extremely quite the BERNINA L850 sews.
- Sew up to 1,500 stitches per minute
- Strong, consistent, and precise at any speed
- Extremely quiet
Quick ThreadingThe integrated needle threader and automatic needle stop up function make threading the needles simple. You can easily change from an overlock seam to a rolled hem or flatlock seam in no time because the thread remains in the same threading path.
- One-path, color-coded threading
- Automatic needle stop up function
- Integrated needle threader
Large Sewing Space The space offered on the L850 is generous by any definition. It has more room to the right of the needle and more work space height than any other BERNINA serger. Sew closed items with ease by simply sliding sleeves or cuffs over the convenient freearm.
- 5 5/8" right to the needle
- Easy on/off extension table included
To begin threading, raise the retractable thread stand to the highest position. Raise the presser foot—this will open the tension disks in the machine making it easy to thread and re-thread. The machine follows a color-coded thread path and every stitch on this machine has one-path threading. This means you will not need to move spools of thread or change order to achieve different stitches. One-path threading has been featured on previous BERNINA Overlockers as well.
- US Warranty 5 year limited warranty on defects in materials and workmanship.
- Extended US Warranty: Free 10-Year Warranty
- Non-US Warranty: 30 days parts and labor
Bernina Overlockers at a Glance
Bernina L850 Mastery Workbook
BERNINA L 850 - Support Information
This section provides support such as installation instructions, firmware downloads, product manuals and simulators.
Click Here to Learn about the L 850 mtc micro thread control
- Total number of stitches: 18
- 4-thread overlock
- 3-thread overlock (wide/narrow): 2
- 3-thread super-stretch: 1
- 3-thread flatlock (wide /narrow): 2
- 3-thread narrow seam
- 3-thread rolled hem
- 3-thread picot stitch
- 2-thread overlock (wide/narrow): 2
- 2-thread flatlock (wide / narrow ): 2
- 2-thread rolled hem
- 2-thread wrapped overlock (wide /narrow): 2
- 2-thread blanket stitch (wide/narrow): 2
- 3–9 mm overlock seam width
- Weight of machine: 27 lbs.
- 6-step presser foot pressure
- DC motor
- 1500 SPM
View video tutorials from SewingMastery.com below:
The One-step BERNINA Air Threader
BERNINA L 850 overlocker - Free Hand System FHS
BERNINA L 850 overlocker - Needle Threader
BERNINA L 850 overlocker – Freearm
L 850 Overlocker/Serger: Upper Looper Converter
BERNINA Overlocker?Serger L850: Video Tutorials, Tips, and Tricks
Pam Mahshie Featured on the Allbrands Show 8/24/2020
Barbara Chatelain Shows the L850 on the Allbrands Show 8/13/2020
- Standard Presser Foot Overlock #L10
- Instruction Manual
- Quick Reference Guide
- Power Cord
- Bernina Foot Control
- Free Hand System (Kneelifter)
- Slide-on Table
- Attachable Scrap Catcher
- Right Seam Guide
- Accessories Box
- Overlocker Oil
- Spool Stabilizers (4)
- Spool Caps (4)
- Spool Nets (4)
- Torx T10 Screwdriver
- Threading Wire
- Dust Cover
Additional Accessories (Found in Threader Cover):
- Needle Set ELx705 CF
- Screwdriver, hex, l.5 mm
- BERNINA Tweezers
- Needle Threader/Inserter
The BERNINA L 850 is a true overlock machine with the ability to stitch using two,
three, or four threads. The BERNINA L 890 includes both; overlock along with chain /cover stitching. It is the only machine with true stitch automation and many other fabulous features. You can find them all here.
What kind of threads can I use in AirThreading?
There are a wide variety of threads that can be used with the On-step BERNINA Airthreading that include 12 wt cotton, rayon and metallic decorative threads as well as textured poly and nylon threads.The mechanism will simply pull the thread through without forcing it into a port.
Can I use a household needle on the BERNINA L 850 and the BERNINA L 890?
Yes, you can use a household needle when serging with the L 850 or L 890. The recommended needle system is ELX705 which gives the very best stitch. We will share more information on WeAllSew regarding the differences that perfect the stitches when using the proper needle.
What is the benefit of total stitch control?
Total stitch control empowers each user to the creative uses for each and every stitch using One-path Threading. You can even create your own signature stitch and save up to 100 in the memory and label them.
What does MTC stand for?
Micro Thread Control allows you to fine tune stitches while it supports the edge of the fabric as stitches are formed.
What is the speed each machine stitches?
You can stitch fast 250-1500 spm or stitch by stitch for precision using the Needle Up/Down feature along with the BERNINA foot control.