Note: "DAK8 supports both SilverLink 4 and SilverKnit.
DAK8 treats both as a SilverLink 4." Jos Timmermans
Optional SilverLink Cables & Box to connect DAK to Machine. Add under Recommended Accessories below.
- Price does not include the Silver Link-5 cable that goes from your computer to the knitting machine , and will depend on which model knitting machine you plan to use DesignAknit software with.
- Price also does not include Silver Reed flexible Coil Cable at $70 which goes from yarn stand to the knitting carriage connection if you do not already have it.
- The industry's BEST computer-aided knitting designing software
- Features for both machine and hand knitters
- Allows you to create your own garment styles
- Integrate different shapes into totally new stitch designs
- Convert pictures into stitch designs
- Create custom stitch patterns using the stitch designer
- Featuring new brush tools in Stitch Designer
- Thumbnail pictures of all of your pattern files
- Revised graphic conversion to allow easier conversion of color images
- View symbols as you draw your stitch design
- IBM PC Windows software
- System Requirements: 486 DX-33 processor, Windows 3.1, 8 Megabytes of system ram, 6 Megabytes of free disk space, SVGA (Super VGA) video card, a Graphics Tablet or Mouse.
- For technical support call Irene Sumner at 1-816-461-1248
Designaknit 8 comes in three program versions.
Designaknit 8 Professional; and
Designaknit 8 HandKnit which is available on it's own; and
Designaknit 8 Complete on this webpage which includes both machine knitting as well as hand knitting capabilities.
Designaknit 8 professional has all the features of Designaknit 7 with the following new features (Note: Some features are specific to the Hand Knit addition):
Compatible with 32 and 64 bit Windows:
Extended thumbnail viewer
20 levels of undo and redo
Manage tensions more easily
Standard Garment Styling:
Apply changes before closing the window
Moveable horizontal and vertical rulers
Original Pattern Drafting:
New exact stitch layout mode
Display a stitch pattern on the active garment
Select and drag not just one but groups of coordinate points
Improved mirrors, rulers and grids and the knit direction indicator
Symbols Text Editor
New symbols allocated to mouse button
Cable organizer - 60 to 168 cables to choose from
In fabric texture - see how the stitches cross over and cables join up with each other
Needle selection indicator
221 hand and machine knit symbols
Hand Knit and complete product levels
There is an additional window in the Interactive Knit screen that displays the hand knitting instructions
New options for shape only knitting
Controlling the starting side of the fabric
Larger images can be converted into stitch patterns
More image formats are now supported: WMF, TGA, PBM, PPM, PGM, JPG, TIF, GIF, PCS, BMP
Pixel Perfect conversions
New rotate Image can correct picture distortion
Windows 98 SE or later
Screen size at least 800 x 600 pixels
Approx. 500 MB hard disk space (if installing tutorials & manuals) Or 90MB wihout tutorials & manuals
The DAK Lace Tool is an add on for all versions of the DesignaKnit. If you owned it with version 7 then it transfers to 8 free. But if they are buying the program for the first time, it is an add on.
KnitItNow.com Learning Library 57 DesignaKnit Graphics Studio Tutorials, Videos.
- US Warranty 30 days replacement if defective.
- Non-US Warranty: 30 days parts and labor
Minimum System Requirements:
- Windows (95/98)
- 6 Megabytes of free disk space
VGA (256 color) video card
Recommended System Requirements:
- Windows (2000/XP)
- 128 Megabytes of system memory
- 20 Megabytes of free disk space
- SVGA (Super VGA) video card
- Graphics Tablet
Note: to connect to a knitting machine, you must have a serial port that is dedicated to the knitting machine connection. This port can not be shared by another device. For Silver Reed machines there is a USB cable available.
In DesignaKnit, grading is a facility where you create 2 identical models (shapes) in different sizes. DesignaKnit can, using these 2 models, create additional models in different sizes. Garment Styler from Cochenille has a similar feature. The knitting of these models is completely independent of the grading itself. You still have to do the increases and decreases etc yourself. With SilverKnit you can knit all kinds of stitch pattern formats with all kinds of variations and you obtain the model/shape information from an external source. SilverKnit replaces the functionality of the EC1+PE1 and/or the PC10. DesignaKnit can give you modeling instructions how to knit a model/shape while knitting a garment. What you even could do is obtain the modeling instructions from DesignaKnit and knit your garment with SilverKnit. Whether the modeling instructions came from a graded model or not doesn't make a difference. If you have any further questions, please ask. Regards, Jos
Irene Sumler, Silver Reed
If Microsoft Vista is installed as 32 bit, DesignaKnit will work if they have or exchange version 7 for the CD. If they have version 6 they will need to upgrade to version 7 CD. If Vista is installed as 64 bit operating system, DesignaKnit will not work. It won’t even let them install the program.