*Up to 60 Months Bernina Credit Card Fixed Payment No Interest Financing with approved credit! Click HERE to Apply Online.
Click HERE to Apply Online for Bernina Credit Card Approval
The best of both worlds and more in one amazing machine.
It's easier than ever to get perfect overlock, cover-, chain-, and combo stitches. Create professional seams, edges, and hems with all of the functions of an overlocker and cover-/chainstitch machine in one spectacular model.
It's a BERNINA! Developing and manufacturing the revolutionary L 890 and L 850 overlocker
So many great reasons to own the Bernina L890:
- Sew, cut and finish in one easy step
- Create professional seams and hems in garments, home textiles, craft projects and more
- Wide selection of hem and seam finishes for any thread or fabric, like silk, satin, jersey, stretch or woven textiles
- Overlock stitches easily create neat, tidy and strong seams as well as perfect rolled hems
- The 3- or 4-thread coverstitch hems create a beautiful, durable stitch, like the classic T-shirt hem
- Sew heavy linen, fleece or denim with a chainstitch then neaten with an overlock stitch at the same time
- Quickly attach trim, lace, elastic or binding with a stretchable coverstitch or durable chainstitch
- Use differential feed for pucker-free seams or gathering and ruffling
- Create one of a kind effects and stitches with decorative threads and save stitches for future use
- Large selection of optional accessories for unlimited creativity and applications
Tradition & Innovation
BERNINA has been passionately dedicated to the development and manufacturing of high-quality sewing machines
since 1893. Today, we are proud to present a new milestone in our history—the BERNINA L 890 Overlock/Coverstitch
Combo machine. This innovation, manufactured by BERNINA, is 100% designed and engineered in Switzerland.
The Perfect Seam for Every Idea
The BERNINA L 890 is perfectly suited for working with all types of fabrics, particularly highly elastic and knitted materials, and threads. It sews, cuts and finishes in one easy step, so that your sewing projects take shape in no time. It sews using 2, 3, 4 or 5 threads, providing the perfect seam for every design. As a combo machine, it offers three different functions: overlock stitches, cover- and chainstitches and 4-thread or 5-thread combo stitches.
The Best of Swiss Engineering: The One-Step Bernina Air-Threader
The One-step BERNINA Air Threader makes threading the looper threads unbelievably easy. Our Swiss engineers have created a masterpiece. In fact, it’s actually fun. No more dreading threading! One of the biggest advantages when threading both looper threads is both hands remain free. The threads are magically moved through the machine via one simple step on the foot control. Remarkably quick and easy! The L 890 automatically sets the loopers in the correct position for the air threader—no turning the handwheel or searching for the right position. Simply press the foot control and you’re off!
Color-coded One-path Threading enables you to switch from an overlock stitch to a coverstitch or to a combo stitch in no time flat.
Intuitive Operation via Touch Screen
The L 890 is easily operated using the centrally located Color Touch Screen. Stitch selection, individual stitch settings, stitch properties or memory—the touch screen has all of the information available at your fingertips anytime you need it and allows you to make changes while sewing. A Creative Sewing Consultant, Stitch Optimizer and helpful animations for all functions are available to you. Operation can be performed in two modes: Advanced users can apply all desired settings directly, quickly and individually in Expert Mode, while in Guided Mode beginners will receive step-by-step instructions for stitch selection, machine settings and stitch optimization. Both modes automatically set the thread tension, stitch length and the differential feed along with the stitch selection.
Total Stitch Control
All settings can be changed individually and 100 stitches can be saved in your Personal Memory. Stitch length, differential feed and thread tension can also be adjusted while sewing. The needle stop can be permanently set up or down, depending on the application. With the Micro Thread Control (MTC), the amount of the overedge thread can be precisely adjusted with a simple turn of the MTC knob. The result? Perfect overlock, cover and combo seams ideally suited for your sewing project thanks to Total Stitch Control.
The Bernina Advantage
If you’re a proud owner of a BERNINA sewing machine, then you’ll be thrilled with the L 890 Overlock/Coverstitch Combo machine because it’s packed with the many functions and BERNINA benefi ts you already know and love. Don’t own a BERNINA? Well you’re in for a treat! Once you experience the BERNINA Overlock/Coverstitch Combo machine, you won’t want anything else.
Grand Sewing Space
The space offered on the L 890 is generous by any definition. It has more room to the right of the needle and more workspace height than any other BERNINA overlocker. That means guiding fabric, and accessing the presser foot lifter and needles is simple and more comfortable. Sew closed items with ease by simply sliding sleeves or cuffs over the convenient freearm. In addition, the large slide-on extension table expands the work surface area and simplifies the sewing of larger projects. The bright LED sewing light provides improved visibility when sewing, during both day and night.
Fast, Precise, and Quiet
The L 890 reaches a maximum sewing speed of 1,350 stitches per minute. The foot control allows you to control the motor providing strong, consistent stitching power as well as precision at any sewing speed. Not only can you sew quickly, but you can also sew stitch-by-stitch, making precise lines and flawless curves a simple process. And all of this is achieved with the amazingly quiet hum of a BERNINA. Program and control the maximum and minimum speeds via the color touch screen.
Many functions of the L 890 Overlock/Coverstitch Combo machine offer sewing convenience that meets the highest standards: Make handling easier by pressing the foot control with your heel to raise or lower the needle by a half stitch. The BERNINA Free Hand System (FHS), a knee-operated lifter that raises and lowers the presser foot, leaves both hands free to guide the fabric—a significant advantage when sewing corners! In addition, the presser foot easily swings out for convenient access to the needles.
Overlocker Care: BERNINA L 8 Series
Click here to view the full L890 brochure (.pdf)
BERNINA MASTERY SERIES WORKBOOK #1 – BASIC SERGER USE(.pdf)
BERNINA MASTERY SERIES WORKBOOK #2 – COVERSTITCH, CHAINSTITCH, COMBO STITCH(.pdf)
Click here to view comparisons between this machine, the L 450, L 460, and L 850 (.pdf)
- US Warranty 5 year limited warranty on defects in materials and workmanship.
- Extended US Warranty: Extended Warranty Available
- Non-US Warranty: 30 days parts and labor
- 27 total stitches
- 4-thread overlock
- 3-thread overlock (wide/narrow): 2
- 3-thread super-stretch
- 3-thread flatlock (wide/narrow): 2
- 3-thread narrow seam
- 3-thread rolled hem
- 3-thread picot stitch
- 2-thread overlock (wide/narrow): 2
- 2-thread fl atlock (wide/narrow): 2
- 2-thread rolled hem
- 2-thread wrapped overlock (wide/narrow): 2
- 2-thread blanket stitch (wide/narrow): 2
- 4-thread coverstitch
- 3-thread coverstitch wide
- 3-thread coverstitch narrow: 2
- 2-thread chainstitch
- Chainstitch with 3-thread overlock (wide/narrow): 2
- Chainstitch with 2-thread overlock (wide/narrow): 2
- One-step BERNINA Air Threader (for looper threads)
- 4.3" color touch screen
- Expert Mode and Guided Mode
- Stitch selection / Settings on the screen
- Personal Memory for 100 individual stitches
- Helpful animations and tutorials
- Creative Sewing Consultant
- Stitch Optimizer
- Sewing space to the right of the needle: 5 5∕8" (143 mm)
- Workspace height: 3 3∕8" (86 mm)
- BERNINA Free Hand System (FHS) with knee lifter
- Swing-out presser foot with auto swing back
- 2-step presser foot lifter with front-foot-lift (FFL)
- Automatic needle stop up
- Needle stop up/down programmable
- Needle up/down with BERNINA Foot Control
- Stitch-by-stitch sewing
- Color-coded One-path Threading
- Thread tension adjustable while sewing
- Thread tension release when presser foot raised
- Micro Thread Control (MTC)
- Adjustable stitch length while sewing
- Adjustable differential feed while sewing
- Adjustable cutting width while sewing
- Rolled hem lever integrated under stitch plate
- Easy to engage and disengage the knife from outside
- Integrated upper looper converter
- LED sewing light
- Thread cutter
- Speed control via touch screen
- Safety switch for open cover and raised presser foot
- Accessories in the threader cover
- 3–9 mm stitch width
- Coverstitch width: 3/6 mm
- Combo stitches width: 7–11 mm
- 6-step presser foot pressure
- DC Motor
- Maximum sewing speed (stitches per minute): 1,350
- Weight of machine: 29.5 lbs/13.4 kg
This promotional price is set to expire at the end of the month
- Standard Combo Foot #C11
- Cover-/Chainstitch Foot #C13
- Instruction Manual
- Quick Reference Guide
- Power Cord
- BERNINA Foot Control
- Free Hand System (Kneelifter)
- Slide-on Table
- Cut-offs Bin
- Coverstitch Insert
- Freearm Cover
- Right Seam Guide
- Accessories Box
- Accessory Box Extension
- Overlocker Oil
- Spool Stabilizers (5)
- Spool Caps (5)
- Spool Nets (5)
- Torx T10 Screwdriver
- Threading Wire
- Needle Set ELx705 CF SUK
- Touchscreen Pen
- CS Lock Tool
- Dust Cover
Additional Accessories in Threader Cover:
- Needle Set ELx705 CF
- Screwdriver, hex, l.5 mm
- BERNINA Tweezers
- Upper Looper Converter
- Needle Threader/Inserter
The BERNINA L 850 is a true overlock machine with the ability to stitch using two,
three, or four threads. The BERNINA L 890 includes both; overlock along with chain /cover stitching. It is the only machine with true stitch automation and many other fabulous features. You can find them all here.
What kind of threads can I use in AirThreading?
There are a wide variety of threads that can be used with the On-step BERNINA Airthreading that include 12 wt cotton, rayon and metallic decorative threads as well as textured poly and nylon threads.The mechanism will simply pull the thread through without forcing it into a port.
Can I use a household needle on the BERNINA L 850 and the BERNINA L 890?
Yes, you can use a household needle when serging with the L 850 or L 890. The recommended needle system is ELX705 which gives the very best stitch. We will share more information on WeAllSew regarding the differences that perfect the stitches when using the proper needle.
What is the benefit of total stitch control?
Total stitch control empowers each user to the creative uses for each and every stitch using One-path Threading. You can even create your own signature stitch and save up to 100 in the memory and label them.
What does MTC stand for?
Micro Thread Control allows you to fine tune stitches while it supports the edge of the fabric as stitches are formed.
What is the speed each machine stitches?
You can stitch fast 250-1500 spm or stitch by stitch for precision using the Needle Up/Down feature along with the BERNINA foot control.
Bundle & Save
Get additional savings when you purchase any of these items along with this product.
LauraStar LIFT-Red Original Red Steam Generator Iron 2200W 3.5Bar, Minutes Heat Up 3, Auto Off or Override (+$649.00, You Save $80.00)